We often forget how many everyday things can be toxic to our pets. Check and make sure the following are out of paw’s reach:

1. Some pets will eat just about anything…including dirt. But fertilizer isn’t just dirt, and the chemicals in it can harm your pets.

2. The most common toxic plants are azaleas, lilies, daffodils, and tulips. Whenever you get a new plant, do some research to see if it could make your pet sick and keep it out of harm’s way if necessary.

3. Pets are frequently sickened—often seriously—by…

…mouse or rat poison. While it may make your rodent problem harder to manage, do not leave any poisons low enough for pets to reach.

4. Be careful not to spill any detergents during spring cleaning. Cats tend to have more life-threatening reactions to these, and they’re usually exposed by walking through the substance and licking their paws later.

5. Pets may think pills are treats, and many human medications, from over-the-counter cold medicines to prescription SSRIs, are deathly toxic to animals.

And a final reminder: Keep our number and the ASPCA Pet Poison Control contact info handy:

Bell Veterinary Hospital: (205) 494-7113

ASPCA Pet Poison Control: (888) 426-4435 (a consultation fee may apply.)